Sunday, June 17, 2012

Lemon Chiffon Pie

I opened the cookbook to the second recipe in the pie section – Lemon Chiffon Pie. I thought this would be interesting as it contains some techniques that I hadn’t used before but really wanted to try.



Here is a close up of the recipe – I’ll include a copy of it at the end of this post.



And the ingredients.



I started off by making a graham cracker crust. I think I’m starting to perfect these crusts and I made sure to really butter the pie plate this time so I wouldn’t be chipping it out of the pan. And I do love graham crackers… so yum!



Now it’s time to make the pseudo lemon curd. I’m going to start by blooming the gelatine. I’ve never worked with straight gelatine before (only pre-packaged jello). I was concerned about how long this was going to sit before using it and if that was okay – but I’m following the recipe and it seemed to work.



Next I separated four eggs and then put the yolks with some sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice and a touch of salt into my metal pan to use on my double boiler.



And then I whisked like hell. I don’t really know if I cooked it long enough. I know it got foamy and thicker – not sure if it got as thick as it should have been – but I was satisfied that it was cooked through. I then sprinkled in the bloomed gelatine and cooled it in the fridge.



Next to address these egg whites. This was easy – just whip the egg whites with sugar. It didn’t say how long to whip so I did it in my favourite dark blue Kitchenaid mixer to the soft peak stage.

And now to… wait what? Aw crap. Why do so many recipes include uncooked eggs?! In this case uncooked eggs whites. Sigh. Okay. I’ll trust you grandma.

I lighten up the egg white mixture with a bit of the pseudo-curd before folding the curd into the whites. It looks light and fluffy and almost overflows the pie plate. I really wish I could forget about those egg whites.



Now it chills for a few hours. And while it does – let me tell you about my kitchen.

I don’t know if anyone notices the background of my photos – but let me show you my kitchen (properly shown in retro-photo form).



Yes. It’s ugly. It has linoleum floor, minty green countertops and wallpapered backsplash with dusty rose and minty green flowers. Yep. It’s quite something. But you know what? It kind of goes with this experiment! Suddenly it almost feels right.

So it time to pull out the pie. It looks pretty – light and glossy and not at all artificial coloured (remember the pink pie!).



I pull out a slice. I’m very happy with how it looks (especially that my crust doesn’t stick!).



Let’s look at this through retro glasses.



Yep still pretty.

And how did it taste? Light and fluffy and lemony and delicious. It was another winner (if you don’t mind the raw eggs) and I was proud of how well it turned out. Also – I ate it last night and I’m not sick – so I guess it’s all okay!

I’m off to get another slice now!

***

Lemon Chiffon Pie

1 Tablespoon (package) gelatine
½ cup cold water
Dissolve

In Double boiler put
4 egg yolks
½ cup white sugar
Juice of one lemon
Grate rind ½ lemon
Salt

Stir and cook over boiling water and beat with eggbeater continually till thick and foamy. Take off and add gelatine mixture. Cool.

Beat 4 egg whites.

Add ½ cup white sugar. Blend in with other mixture.

Put in graham wafer shell and place in fridge several hours.


1 comment: